TYPING IN HIRAGANA
Sunday September 2, 2018

はじめまして
わたしわ「ぴいたあそん」です。
あめりかじん です。
いちねんせい です。
せんこうわ じんるいがく です。
どうぞ よろしく。

I just changed my MacBook settings so I could type in Hiragana and this is so cool! Just the fact that I was able to type the introductory greeting above made me really excited and happy with the progress I've made so far in the class! I was also surprised by how easy the software made it to translate romaji into hiragana.


I'm introducing one of my favorite aspects of Japanese culture which is Ukiyo-e, a traditional style of art during the 17-19th century made on woodblock prints. I fell in love with this style of art when we were studying Japan in my AP World History class during my senior year of high school. I'm a huge (art) history buff, so the contextual history behind the movement and the artistic style itself is really fascinating! I'm really excited to learn more about Japanese culture through this class, however!

Anyway, till next time!

Comments

  1. Good job on your じこしょうかい!I think we are all making great progress in Japanese, and I'm sure we will only get better as time goes on. As for うきよえ , I think that is a super interesting topic concerning a time period in Japan not commonly examined. I hope you can see you original copies of woodblock prints if you study abroad (I hope I get to).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's so cool that you want to study abroad as well! Would you do it during Junior year as well (and are you considering doing one of those summer programs as well)? じゃあ また。

      Delete
  2. I would love to learn more about woodblock prints from you. I have heard of this art style before, but do not know any of the specifics. I will give you one of my おりがみ papers that has a similar style of picture on it. I am so happy that we have grown close through dorm life and にほんご!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that would be so cool, thank you so much! I'm so glad we've grown close, too! You're so fun to hang out with, since you're so sincere and relaxed! I'm so hype to have this class with you, but also be in Ryan together! じゃあ また。

      Delete
  3. I also found it pretty astonishing to be able to type in romaji and get Hiragana as the output. I hope that by learning more Katakana and Kanji, I will be able to transcribe them from romaji as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that'd be so cool! It's honestly so gratifying how much progress we've made in two weeks alone!

      Delete
  4. Who knew typing in ひらがな could be so cool? Changinng the settings was super easy and it's incredible what pops up on google when you try to search things up in Hiragana. It's lie a whole new world has been opened up to us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ikr? It's sometimes a struggle managing the homework, but then it's really cool and gratifying to see the rewards of all that work!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for introducing the Japanese 17-19th century painting! Japanese paintings are unique and actually have influence of western ones! I like the style very much as well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2/24書く宿題