Death Note (デスノート)

Over Fall Break, I watched the Japanese anime "Death Note." I have never watched any anime before in my life, so I was interested to see what it would be like. シャフトさん recommended this one among others to me, and I decided to give Death Note a try. I watched the first four episodes of the original Death Note on Netflix, each episode around 22 minutes long - so I watched an hour of the anime. There are 37 episodes of Death Note, so I didn't watch all of them, but I may go back to it one day if I have time to! To my understanding of the show so far, Death Note follows Light, a high schooler disgusted with the perceived scum of the world. He happens to find a notebook titled "Death Note" one day during school. The notebook has instructions in it, detailing how humans can kill other people by writing their name and cause of death in the book (with other various details/instructions). Light tests out the notebook twice and realizes that the notebook is not a joke and actually possesses supernatural powers. He is then visited by Ryuk, a shinigami (a Japanese spirit of death) from the shinigami realm, who reveals that he dropped the death note into the human world because he was bored of his realm. Light also reveals that he was bored and fed up of his world as well, and he has created a personal vendetta against all the evil people in the world and plains to eliminate all of them so he can essentially become of the god of his new, pure utopia. The next few episodes already complicate Light's plan, with a mysterious, anonymous investigator named L catching on to the mass murder of criminals in Japan. Light ends the fourth episode realizing that the Death Note is not an all-powerful force and formulates a plan to figure out who has been following him. Since I've had no previous experience with anime, I didn't really know what to expect. However, I thought it was kind of fun to watch, and very engaging! The art style was different, but I really enjoyed the cultural and artistic variations because it made it more interesting to me. I might want to try a more light-hearted anime next time though because it was heavy and taxing material to go through. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2/24書く宿題