聞く宿題
I watched a 10 minute long youtube video of typical Japanese commercials that was published in January 2020. I don't really watch commercials much in America anymore because I don't watch cable, but I am still pretty familiar with how marketization and advertisement usually appear in American commercials. I was interested in watching Japanese commercials because I had realized I had never seen any before. I though they were really interesting, and very similar and different to American commercials in many ways. Upon my first viewing, they seemed to be very well-produced (aesthetic wise) and be fast-paced (fast-talking). It was really hard to follow some of the dialogue, but I was much more easily able to understand children's commercials that ones aimed at adults. It surprised me how much I wasn't able to understand in certain commercials, especially in food commercials for some reason. I really liked watching them though, because it demonstrated more casual speech and higher level vocabulary than I regularly get exposed to. It was most interesting to see Baskin Robins, an American company, in a Japanese commercial and the differences in how America and Japan decided to advertise for the company. There was a lot more of Japanese culture, including pikachu, in the Japanese commercial to promote the store. 

My biggest take away from this listening exercise was acquiring cultural knowledge from the commercials, how Japanese advertisers promote their product/company and the market for these products in terms of the audience. Seeing what is most likely popular in Japan in terms of clothing/fashion brands, food, travel, and more was super interesting to engage in. Most of the commercials I watched in this compilation were about either fashion or food, which I would say is pretty similar in America (though I would have to guess the food advertisements are even more common in America). I think I will watch more Japanese commercials in the future, because I really like being able to compare them to how it's done in America, and see what the differences and similarities are 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2/24書く宿題